Jul 26, 2012

Would you beleive me if I said I forgot to update for two weeks...? No? T_T


Short term plans, long term plans…


Nick: "Ouch… You guys were heavy."
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
Nick: "Oh, don’t look at me like that; you too know it’s true."
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
Still rubbing his hands, the mercenary kept silently staring at the girls, waiting for an answer, but for no avail. The twins seemed completely out of it after the match, and hardly ever spoke since they switched back to their real forms. In fact, he could have sworn that they didn’t utter a single word ever since they returned to their quarters twenty minutes ago, which was especially unusual in light of their recent bickering. Of course, he had a vague idea of the reason why they were under the weather, but bringing up the issue was harder than it seemed.
Nick: "*sigh* I don’t get your problem. All things considered, we did well. For example, no one died! That’s a good start, don’t you think?
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
With still no response in sight, the man let out an exhausted groan and dropped onto his bed while rubbing his hands. He wasn’t lying when he said that his hands hurt, nor when he said the two were heavy. It was a peculiar thing, but their weight apparently didn’t change when they switched forms. In fact they almost felt heavier when in their alternate form, courtesy of the fact that they were smaller and weighted on his hands in an unexpected way. It was not a serious issue though, as he was more than able to bear with it while he had their mana channeled into him, but the weight combined with the shock of Zara’s strikes in the battle still wrecked havoc with his hands.
Nick: "*sigh* Still, I hope the old man leaves me off the hook. This test of theirs was more than enough for one day."
Veevan: "… Nick, I’m…"
Nick: "Hm? Yes?"
Finally getting a reaction, Nicolai immediately latched onto it. However, just as Veevan was about to open her mouth once again, the loud, metallic sound of someone knocking on their door cut her short.
Technician: "Excuse me, sir?"
Surprised, Nicolai stood up and let in the familiar man through the half-open door. He knew his face well; he was the one the archbishop always sent over when he needed him. Which could mean only one thing…
Nick: "*sigh* The old man already needs me again? It’s only been half an hour!"
Technician: "No. I mean, yes… His Excellency was asking for you, but not for research purposes. Or… at least that’s what I think he meant."
Nick: "Oh?"
The new information made the man tilt his head in puzzlement.
Nick: "Okay. So, why does he need me if not for poking me with electrodes?"
Technician: "Actually, His Excellency sent me to ask you if you had the time to accompany him for a while."
Nick: "Accompany…?"
Technician: "I… don’t know the details, but he seemed be in a good mood."
Nick: "…"
Visibly pondering for a second, Nicolai quickly tried to take all the possible reasons the old man could ask for him into account. Truth to be told, he had a few questions for the archbishop that he was itching to ask for a while, so the opportunity actually seemed quite attractive. However, there was another side to the coin.
Nick: "Veevan, Veetu?"
Hearing their names, the two looked up to him in unison.
Nick: "I’ll go and see what the old man wants from me. Please be good and rest up. We’ll talk once I’m back."
For a moment it seemed like the two wanted to say something, but in the end they just meekly nodded at the man’s words.
Nick: "All right then. I promise I won’t be out for long. See you."
Like that, the mercenary and his guide turned heel and left the room and started walking down the hallway side by side. At first it seemed like the technician wanted to say something, but he was cut off my Nicolai before he could open his mouth.
Nick: "Say, did the old man really not say why he wanted to see me?"
The man slowly shook his head at the mercenary’s question.
Technician: "No. Nothing concrete."
Nick: "Really? Hmm… I hope he’s not out to scold me. Again."
Technician: "He… didn’t specify the reason, but he seemed to be in a good mood."
Nick: "Yeah, you said that already."
Technician: "…"
Nick: "*sigh* Whatever. I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best… Say, the old man’s office was this way, right?"
Technician: "Actually, he was waiting for you in his chambers in the cathedral."
Hearing these words, Nicolai stopped and sharply turned towards the man.
Nick: "Wait, you mean up on the surface? Wow, now I’m really curious why he needs me…"
Just as he finished said sentence, they arrived at the main elevator of the complex. They both entered the lift, but as the technician was about to reach for the keypad under the buttons, Nicolai took the lead and typed in the long code before he could even move. As he pushed the enter key, the car slightly shook and they began their ride upwards.
Technician: "…"
Noticing the baffled expression on the man’s face, Nicolai’s eyes opened wide in revelation.
Nick: "Oh yeah… I was not supposed to do that… Hehe. Sorry, force of habit."
Technician: "But… how?"
The code for the elevator was supposed to be undisclosed; only the staff would know it, and they changed it every week. The man’s surprise was more than understandable.
Nick: "You know what? Let’s just forget about this, okay? You are going to keep this a secret, right?"
Technician: "But…"
Nick: "I insist."
Technician: "Ugh…"
Even though the mercenary’s demeanor wasn’t intimidating at all, everyone on the staff knew that the man was someone you did not want to get on the bad side of. As such, it didn’t take much more than that to convince the man, and he immediately nodded in panic.
Nick: "Great! Now then, we should be there in three… two… one…"
Just as he reached the end of his countdown, the elevator really did reach its destination, much to the technician’s further bafflement.
Nick: "Punctual as always. Now then, if I remember right, the old man’s place was… ah, over there."
Technician: "Yes…"
Nick: "All right, I can guide myself from this point. Thanks for coming with me this far."
Like that, Nicolai hopped out of the cabin and strode over to Baran’s office without the smallest of reservations. The other man also stepped out of the cabin, but by the time he did so, the mercenary was already at the entrance of the archbishop’s office.
Nick: "Okay, here goes nothing."
After taking a deep breath, the man raised his hand and forcefully knocked on the door, like he wanted to break it down. After the second knock, however, the old man’s familiar voice already stopped him on his track.
Baran: "It’s open, Wolf. Come in."
Nick: "Oh?"
Hearing the reply, Nicolai pushed without further ado. The well-oiled hinges of the heavy wooden door turned without a sound, revealing the familiar chamber on the other side. It was the same posh, wastefully spacious room as he remembered, except for one small detail; the unfamiliar scent of alcohol in the air. It didn’t take long for the mercenary to find the source of said smell.
Nick: "Oh? Whiskey?"
Baran: "Come on in."
The old man, sitting behind his oversized mahogany desk, casually gestured towards the chair in front of said desk while holding a glass in his other hand. Still a little suspicious, the mercenary nevertheless followed the old man’s lead and sat down.
Baran: "Care for a drink?"
Nick: "…"
Looking over at the bottle on the desk, it turned out that he was right; it was, in fact, whiskey, and judging by the label, it wasn’t a cheap knockoff either.
Nick: "Wow. What are we celebrating?"
Baran: "Wrong question, my friend."
Nick: "Friend? Again?"
Completely disregarding his words, the archbishop rose to his feet, and walked over to the other side of his table while absentmindedly sloshing his drink in his hand.
Baran: "Believe it or not, your performance today propelled my research to heights I didn’t even think possible. As such, the right question is:"
With a surprisingly amiable smile on his face, the old man finally pointed at the empty glass on the tray by the bottle of whiskey with just a hint of mischief in his eyes.
Baran: "Why aren’t you drinking yet?"
Nick: "…"
For a moment, the mercenary was seemingly pondering, but to the old man’s delight, he finally reached for the bottle and poured for himself.
Nick: "Fine, but only a little. I still have things to do today, I can’t get wasted."
Baran: "I never asked for that."
Nick: "Where did you even get this, anyway?"
Baran: "I’m an archbishop, remember? This kind of luxury is acceptable for my status."
Nick: "Oh? Getting full of yourself already, eh? You are a bad drinker."
Baran: "Hahaha. Maybe."
Seeing this side of the old man was an entirely new experience for the mercenary. He still had some of the high-and-mighty attitude he normally had, but at the same time he was surprisingly cheerful and laidback.
Nick: "So? Did you only ask for me to have a drinking-partner?"
Baran: "No, not quite. I keep Zara around for those occasions. Actually, we have a lot of things to discuss."
Nick: "Indeed. Speaking of which, where is he?"
Baran: "You mean Zara? He’s getting patched up after your mock battle."
Nick: "Oh?"
Baran: "Haha. I thought you would be pleased by that."
Nick: "Am I?"
Baran: "It’s practically written all over your face."
Nick: "Hmm… Then I guess you must be right."
Baran: "Hahaha."
Still a little baffled about the archbishop’s demeanor, Nicolai took a cautious sip from his glass while the old man returned to his seat.
Baran: "But enough about that. The actual reason I called you here is because I wanted to talk about your future."
Nick: "My future…?"
The mercenary slightly wagged his head at the old man’s words and slowly put his glass back onto the desk.
Nick: "Listen, I know I called you pops before, but that’s just a figure of words, you don’t need to actually act like my father…"
Baran: "Nothing so melodramatic. I was wondering if you had any future plans. For example, you mentioned a pending contract when you came here…"
Nick: "Ah, that… It’s actually kind of a tricky subject. It’s… sort of a side-project I’m doing at the moment, not even a real job to talk of."
Baran: "Oh? I hope it’s not espionage."
Nick: "What? Heaven forbid, no! Do you think I have a death-wish!?"
Baran: "Haha. Thought so. So, does that mean you have no ties after these experiments are over?"
Nick: "No, nothing solid at least. Well, you agreed to erase my history, so I guess I might start a new life. You know? Wife, kids, house by the seaside? Something ordinary."
Baran: "…"
Nick: "…"
The two men kept staring at each other in silence for a few seconds, but suddenly both of them burst out in laughter.
Nick: "Hehehe… No, seriously, no plans whatsoever."
Baran: "Haha. Thought so. A life like that wouldn’t suit you anyway."
Nick: "Oh really? Then what do you think would suit me?"
Just as he uttered these words, the old man’s eyes narrowed in response.
Baran: "Actually, I have an idea."
Nick: "Oh really?"
Baran: "I’m not going to be around the bush; I want you to stay here and work for me."
Nick: "…"
The mercenary was more or less expecting such an offer, but it apparently still baffled him for a moment.
Nick: "As in? Test subject?"
Baran: "I’m going to be frank: What I offer you is a job as a Walker. You are to be pardoned of all your previous crimes and become part of the Order under my command."
Nick: "That is… an extremely generous offer, but-"
Baran: "In addition to that…"
Cutting him short, the archbishop’s eyes were seemingly sparkling as he was about to reveal his trump-card.
Baran: "If you accept my offer, I will grant you ownership of the prototypes."
Nick: "… Pardon?"
Baran: "Why so surprised? It’s obvious that you are the only one who can use them properly, so you might as well be their permanent partner. Like that, they would not be Order property anymore, but yours by all meanings of the word."
Nick: "…"
This was a twist Nicolai didn’t anticipate. He more or less already figured it out that taking the girls to the surface was only the beginning, but as things stood, he was just offered the opportunity of a lifetime that was about to solve more or less all of his problems in one fell swoop. It was simply too good to be true.
Nick: "What’s the catch?"
Baran: "There’s no catch."
Nick: "…"
Baran: "I understand your reservations. After all, this would mean you had to sacrifice your independence, right?"
Nick: "Well, that’s one thing, sure…"
Suddenly, the archbishop knit his brows and let out a small sigh.
Baran: "There is one thing you have to understand."
All of a sudden, the old man’s presence grew huge while the tone of his voice gained a domineering tone, directly contrasting his previous easygoing demeanor.
Baran: "In this world, the only way you can truly be free is on my side."
Nick: "Oooookay. You are kind of losing me here… again."
Standing up again, Baran forcefully put his glass down and once again walked to the side of his desk while staring at the complicated schedule-diagram on his wall, then sharply turned to Nicolai and gazed right into his eyes.
Baran: "This world is governed by a plan, a plan that was set into motion hundreds of years ago by the Order. A plan only the highest authorities within the Order know about. As long as you live under the rule of the Order, your fate is governed by this plan and you can never really be free."
Nick: "… All right, theatrics aside; you are telling me that the only way to avoid this grand conspiracy of the Order is to join the Order? Am I missing a step here?"
Baran: "No. I want you to join me."
Nick: "…"
Baran: "I have dedicated the last two decades of my life to the fight against this plan, and soon I will have the means to succeed within my grasp… thanks to you. As such, I want you to become my ally in this fight."
Nick: "… Call me paranoid, but this is starting to sound like you are planning some sort of revolution."
Baran: "Am I?"
Nick: "How should I know? At least that’s what it sounds like."
Baran: "Hmm. Considering the semantics, I could say you are right."
Nick: "*cough* Correct me if I’m wrong, but… if you want to take on this plan or whatever, wouldn’t that mean you had to go against the interest of the Order?"
Baran: "Eventually."
For a second, Nicolai couldn’t find the words.
Nick: "… You know how crazy that sounds, right?"
Baran: "It might, but it’s the truth."
Nick: "…"
Baran: "I see. You need evidence, am I right?"
Nick: "Well, it would most certainly help."
Baran: "Figured as much."
Like that, the old man reached into the drawer of his desk and handed a thick dossier to the mercenary.
Nick: "What is this?"
Baran: "An excerpt of said Plan. With other words, evidence."
For a few moments, the mercenary’s eyes kept questioningly jumping between the dossier and the old man.
Nick: "Wait, so when you said plan, you actually meant a real, written plan, not just some obscure goal or something?"
Baran: "No. Like a manual, our history had been planned out in advance, including the rise of the Order, the rebuilding process, the role of every notable person that lived and to come, even you and me. It’s all in there."
Still baffled, Nicolai kept on staring at the bundle of documents in his hands.
Nick: "You know, there is crazy, but this… this is a whole new category of what the fuck…"
Baran: "Not the choice of words I would have used, but I agree."
Nick: "… Okay, let’s presume that all you have told me is confirmed by this and there really is a huge, world-spanning conspiracy that is secretly controlling every aspect of it. Why are you telling me about it now?"
Baran: "Isn’t it obvious? I’m telling you this because I want you to help me destroy it."
Nick: "Whoa! Now we are talking about destroying this super-conspiracy that might or might not exist? If what you say is true, then that would mean you want to destroy the Order!"
Baran: "If necessary."
For a moment, Nicolai could only blink in shock at the old man’s nonchalant words.
Nick: "… And now we are talking about overthrowing the Order. Old man, should really stop drinking right now! You are really starting to get out of hand!"
Baran: "Does it really sound that far-fetched to you?"
Nick: "Yes, yes it does! Overthrowing the Order? Ah, yes, all too easy! Why don’t we try to dodge raindrops in a hurricane if we are at that?"
Baran: "We?"
Nick: "I mean… Whatever! The point is that this is crazy! Even if this “plan” is real and you want to do something about it, you do not pick a fight with the Order! Like, ever! Well, unless you want to find Walkers under your pillows every night, ready to strangle you. Trust me, I’m speaking of experience."
Baran: "You are misunderstanding something. Unlike your case, I’m not planning on making myself a public enemy on my own."
Nick: "Great, so you want to drag others into your little rebellion as well. Which would be a non-issue, really, but one of them is me!"
Baran: "Of course. The plan is not something I can overthrow by myself."
Nick: "Thought so, but still no. You do not have nearly enough resources to take on the Order."
Baran: "Not yet, but by the end of these experiments, I will."
Nick: "Wait… That’s the goal of the experiments…?"
Baran: "Indeed."
For a few moments, the two kept staring each other in the eye, until Nicolai suddenly shrugged his shoulders with a huge sigh.
Nick: "… Holy crap… Just… Just what am I doing right now!?"
Baran: "?"
Nick: "I’m in an archbishop’s office, talking about some vague plans about some nondescript revolution against the world’s ruling government because of an Orwellian conspiracy! Just… just what the hell?!"
Baran: "Orwellian?"
Nick: "George Orwell? 1984? … Wait, that’s not the point here! You have literally given me an opportunity of a lifetime and let me in on an insane conspiracy in the span of ten minutes. Just what the hell do you expect me to say to this?!"
Baran: "… Nothing."
Nick: "…?"
Baran: "I want you to think about my offer. I also want you to read that dossier I gave you, and then decide for yourself."
Nick: "… You are being awfully trusting, you know? What keeps me from simply telling this to some loyal Order executives and run away from all this mess?"
Baran: "…"
For a moment, the old man seemed to be deep in thought, but then an unexpectedly nonchalant smile conquered his face, much to the mercenary’s surprise.
Baran: "Because I believe in you."
Nick: "… Excuse me?"
Baran: "Because I believe in your judgment, that you would see eye-to-eye with me, and that you would not betray the trust we put in you."
Nick: "That’s… all?"
Baran: "Indeed. I believe that our goals are the same, even if you can’t see them yet."
Nick: "Old man, I hate to disappoint you, but I have no such lofty goals, much less ones that could coincide with yours in any way."
Baran: "Oh, is that right? Do you really not have a single goal in mind?"
Nick: "…"
Baran: "I doubt it. Otherwise, you wouldn’t even be here. After all, your Innate Ability is not only about dodging bullets, it also lets you choose the path most beneficial to you."
Nick: "So what you are getting at is that…?"
Baran: "Your presence alone signifies the fact that you have already on the path to become my ally. You just can’t see it yet. I am your goal."
Nick: "Huh… So you are telling me I have already made the decision about a question I never heard and am on a path to a goal I didn’t even know about until just now… because of my intuition?"
Baran: "Yes."
The mercenary once again fell silent, but then he quietly stood up while clutching the dossier under his arm.
Nick: "With all due respect, I would like to point out that you are full of shit. Now if you excuse me, I have to go, I promised the girls I wouldn’t be out for long."
Baran: "I understand. I am not unreasonable. Take your time. I’m hoping for a favorable answer."
Nick: "We will see."
Baran: "Yes. We will."
With that, Nicolai briskly turned around and walked over to the door. However, just as he was about to reach for the doorknob, the old man’s voice stopped him.
Baran: "Wait!"
Nick: "?"
Baran: "Before you leave, there is the issue of the request you made three days ago…"
Nick: "…"

----------
Veevan: "*sigh*"
Veetu: "…"
Veevan: "Hey, sis…"
Veetu: "……"
Veetu obviously disregarded her sister’s voice, but it didn’t stop Veevan from trying again.
Veevan: "Sis?"
Veetu: "………"
Veevan: "Sis…?"
Veetu: "… What?"
Finally breaking her composure, Veetu turned towards her sister with a stern expression.
Veevan: "… I’m… sorry."
The girl’s brows involuntarily rose at her sister’s words, but she showed no reaction beyond another sigh.
Veevan: "Sis..."
After another couple of seconds, Veetu finally opened her mouth.
Veetu: "You better be."
Veevan: "…"
Those were cruel words, but all too right. Veevan slowly shrunk back and hugged her knees while her sister was still staring at the door without as much as blinking.
Veevan: "Do you think… he is angry at me too?"
Veetu: "I have no idea, but I hope he is."
Veevan: "…"
Veetu’s voice was uncharacteristically cold and distant, and her words made Veevan’s shrink back even more in shame.
Veetu: "After all, you almost killed him."
Veevan: "But I…!"
Veetu: "Didn’t want to? It doesn’t change that fact that you nearly melted his brain because of your stupid bet."
Veevan: "But… but you were competing too!"
Veetu: "I was competing!?"
For the first time since Nicolai left the room, Veetu faced her sister, with a frightening visage. Laid bare in front of her scorning eyes, Veevan couldn’t help but shrink back even more, even if it seemed almost paradoxical at the moment.
Veetu: "Of course I was competing! You have been practically taunting me twenty-four hours a day during the last three days! What did you expect me to do?!"
Veevan: "…"
Veetu: "But even if you try to blame me-"
Veevan: "But I…"
It was a barely audible whisper to begin with, but it was still enough to make Veetu raise her voice in response.
Veetu: "As I said, even if you tried to blame me, there was one huge difference here: unlike you, I knew when to stop!"
Once she finished, both of them fell silent. Veetu didn’t say any more, she apparently didn’t want to escalate things any further. In fact, she felt somewhat sorry for her sister and her plight, but she decided to steel her heart. It was her impatience and competitive streak that caused this whole mess, and she decided there was no point in sugarcoating the issue any longer. Her sister also fell silent, not that she had spoken that much to begin with, but mainly because she had no comeback on her own.
Veevan: "… *sniff*"
She knew all too well that her sister was right. It was her fault. Ever since their fight three days ago, she created a contest all by herself. She decided to overcome her sister by any means possible. Even she had little idea why she was so adamant about it. Was it a sudden flash of sibling rivalry? Or maybe she really was jealous of the attention Nicolai gave to her sister? Either way, because of that silly competition, instead of making up the next day like usual, their fight began escalating and quickly got out of control until it almost turned into a disaster.
It happened during their cross-synchronization. She was so eager to prove herself that she became careless. It wasn’t a big mistake, she only channeled a fraction more mana than her sister, she only tried to reach a single percent higher synchronization ratio than her, but at that critical moment, it was more than enough to cause a disaster. It happened way too fast to remember, but she knew it was her fault. She pushed the synchronization too far, and the small error in the balance of the flows started a chain-reaction. She remembered that she was the first to notice the imbalance, and she panicked. She tried to make it right, but instead she over­compensated, removed more mana from the flow than necessary, and it ended up putting a sudden strain on her sister, completely knocking their synchronization off-balance. And finally, the thing that truly terrified her was Nicolai’s reaction…
She could feel his unmasked surprise, the sudden burst of horror flashing through his mind, and finally, the pure, uncontrolled anger he felt… and that scared her beyond belief.
Veevan: "…"
In the end she was stuck. She knew that she was at fault, but had no idea how to deal with it, and worst of all, she couldn’t even turn to her sister for advice. After all, she was mad as her as well. At this moment, all she could do was to wait and ready herself for the return of the mercenary. And for that, she didn’t have to wait for long.
*creak*
Nick: "… I really have to get some oil the next time I’m on the surface…"
Nonchalant as ever, the man stepped through the creaky doorway and looked over the twins.
Nick: "Hi girls, I’m back. It took a little longer than expected…"
Saying so, he casually threw the unfamiliar, fat dossier in his hand onto his bed and sat down with a difficult expression on his face.
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
Once again, the room fell into silence. The twin’s eyes were fixated on Nicolai, however, his gaze seemed to be unfocused and looking into the distance while pondering. That alone was enough to make Veevan shudder. As far as she knew, there was only one reason why the normally upbeat man would act like that, and it made the guilt she felt grow even more painful in her chest. Finally, after a few seconds of hesitation, she finally decided to raise her voice.
Veevan: "Umm… N-Nick?"
Nick: "Hm?"
Suddenly shaken from his daze, the man raised his eyes upon the girl while blinking in surprise.
Nick: "Ah, yes? Sorry, my head is kind of in a major mess right now. Is there something you wanted to ask?"
Veevan: "Not really… I mean, not asking… I just…"
Nick: "…"
Waiting patiently for the girl to collect her thoughts, Nicolai straightened himself while a faint light of concern appeared in his eyes.
Veevan: "I just… I’m sorry."
Slightly stuttering, Veevan managed to squeeze the words out, but immediately after that she averted her eyes and wilted down. At first, Nicolai could only tilt his head in surprise, but then the realization finally hit him.
Nick: "Ah, you are talking about that thing during the match, right?"
Veevan: "…"
The girl weakly nodded, but to her surprise, Nicolai immediately shrugged his shoulders the moment she did so.
Nick: "I figured there would be something like this. *sigh* Listen, it’s no big deal-"
Veetu: "…?"
Suddenly cutting himself short, the mercenary raised his hand and swiftly pointed at Veetu, cutting her short as well just as she was about to raise her voice in objection.
Nick: "I know what you want to say, but no, it really wasn’t a big deal."
Veetu: "But-!"
Nick: "She nearly blew me up? Not a big deal, I was aware of the dangers from the beginning. Well, not this particular one, but that’s kind of my fault and not hers."
Veetu: "You are just-!"
Nick: "No, I’m not spoiling her."
Veetu: "Stop-!"
Nick: "I’m not reading your mind; I just know how you are thinking."
Veetu: "I’m not-!"
Nick: "Sure princess, sure…"
Veetu: "Stop that already!!!"
Veevan: "*giggle*"
Veetu: "…?"
The small, muffled giggle made Veetu stop in her tracks and raise her eyes on her sister. Veevan was still in the middle of wiping the last traces of her tears from her eyes, but the relieved smile on her face immediately started eroding the wall of anger around her sister’s heart.
Veevan: "I’m sorry."
Nick: "I just told you not to. I’m not mad at all."
Veetu: "You say that, but you were frowning just a few seconds ago."
Nick: "Huh?"
Raising his brow, the man glanced over Veetu, who was apparently still a little peevish because of his previous teasing.
Nick: "That’s an unrelated matter. The old coot just dropped a pretty insane anvil on me, that’s all."
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
Nick: "Case in point, I’m not angry at you. Not even at Veetu, if we are at that."
Veetu: "Hey!"
Still trying hard to muffle her giggling, Veevan finally let out a relieved breath as he looked upon the mercenary.
Veevan: "Thank you."
Nick: "Thank me? For what? I haven’t even told you the good news…"
Veetu: "Good news?"
Nick: "Yup. Oh, if we are at that, come closer."
Veevan & Veetu: "…?"
Nick: "Come on! Don’t look at me like that! Just come over here!"
Vigorously gesturing, the man pointed at his sides on the edge of his bed. Still confused, the girls found themselves obeying him without further question, and the two of them were soon sitting on his sides.
Nick: "There we go!"
Veevan & Veetu: "?"
Suddenly wrapping his arms around the two’s shoulders, the man pulled the two closer with a huge grin on his face, and after a moment of slightly awkward silence he finally spoke up.
Nick: "Okay girls, here’s the deal: considering how hard you worked recently and our great progress…"
Veevan: "But we just-"
Nick: "Oh, forget about that blaze-stuff already! … But back on topic, do you know what day this Sunday is going to be?"
Veevan: "It’s… the Anniversary?"
Nick: "Bingo! The biggest fair of the year! There will be thousands of people flocking to the town. Families, merchants, artisans, even the damn circus!"
Veetu: "… So?"
Nick: "Guess who else is going?"
It took a second for the question to sink in, but the moment it did, the two looked together in disbelief, then raised their eyes on the mercenary once again.
Veetu: "You can’t mean…?"
Nick: "But I do."
Veevan: "But… His Excellency?"
Nick: "I got permission from him already."
Veetu: "You can’t be serious…"
Nick: "Oh, yes I am."
It took a few more second for them to finally believe what they just heard, but the moment they did, their smiles were already enough to satisfy Nicolai. Well, almost…
Nick: "*cough* Well, I believe someone deserves a big hug, don’t you agree?"
Veevan & Veetu: "…"
*SQUEEEEEZE*

 <-Prev.   Next->

No comments:

Post a Comment